About this organisation
Age UK East Sussex is an independent local charity. They’ve been working in the local community to help older people for 70 years, with 40 dedicated staff and over 190 amazing volunteers helping to deliver services and activities for older people in East Sussex.
About this opportunity
The Social Prescribing Team is a service which supports people over 50 years old. Social prescribers provide information and advice on many issues, such as benefits, social care, living independently, housing, and local services. Social prescribers also work directly with people who may be social isolated, bereaved, or lonely. If these concerns are addressed, it can make a significant difference to people’s wellbeing.
The role is to help provide support to clients within the local community, build trust and rapport and encourage engagement. You will be instrumental in helping to meet the needs of the client. You will support them to stay connected to their community and local services and ensure resources are maintained.
As a volunteer, you will be matched with one of the social prescribing team within your local area. Your role will be based within the community helping clients in a variety of situations. This may include escorting clients to appointments or group activities, helping clients to access local services or providing general support such as phone contact or shopping needs. The role will be varied and aims to empower the people you will be assisting.
The role will take approx. 3-4 hrs per work per week, however if you would like to volunteer for a longer period, there is opportunity for this.
Desired Skills and attributes:
• An interest in working with and for people over the age of 50.
• Understanding and willingness to learn about the range of issues affecting the clients supported.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills including being an active listener, empathy, and a non-judgmental approach.
• Trustworthy, approachable, and reliable.
• Excellent people skills, and the ability to communicate with people at all levels.
• The ability to effectively and to build and maintain good relationships.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Be able to be flexible and adaptable to change.
• Committed to ensure high levels of customer service.
• Able to use the Internet, Microsoft Office 365 for emails, have a mobile phone.
For more information
For more information please either come in and see us in the Uckfield Volunteer Centre, or call us on 01825 760019, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org