About this organisation
Age UK East Sussex is an independent local charity. They’ve been working in the local community to help older people for 70 years, with 40 dedicated staff and over 190 amazing volunteers helping to deliver services and activities for older people in East Sussex.
They are in partnership with Macmillan Cancer Support to provide practical and emotional support to local older people affected by or living with cancer.
About this opportunity
AGE UK are currently in need of volunteers in Rother district, Eastbourne & Hailsham.
Volunteers will be asked to provide the support needed to allow an older person living with the early stages of cancer to complete their treatment by supporting them with domestic duties.
• Supporting clients for a short term (normally up to 12 weeks but there can be some flexibility based on treatment plan) by giving help in a flexible way by visiting clients in their own homes.
• Offering practical support which will meet their immediate needs such as obtaining information, completing forms for utilities, shopping, collecting prescriptions, escorting on appointments and promoting rehabilitation.
• Complementing statutory services, and working in a flexible way with clients.
• Offering emotional support such as listening, providing encouragement and reassurance.
• Liaising with the co-ordinator and, where appropriate, community services.
Skills you will need for this role:
• Ability and enthusiasm for communicating and supporting older people.
• Trustworthy, honest, reliable and responsible.
• Patience and empathy.
• Listening skills and tact.
• Remain objective and non-judgemental.
• Ability to travel within the district.
• Flexibility with regard to visiting times and subsequent support, with an ability to adapt to clients’ needs.
You will be asked to represent your client’s views and interests, and refer back to the co-ordinator if there are problems, if further services are required, or if visits prove unsuccessful. And induction and training will be provided, along with information days and group meetings. you will also be given specific training around working with people living with cancer.
If you use your car to transport clients you must complete a Drivers Check List and show relevant documents on an annual basis. You must also have business class car insurance. Appropriate insurance cover will be provided, to protect you whilst you are acting on behalf of Age UK East Sussex.
For more information
For more information please either come in and see us in the Uckfield Volunteer Centre, or call us on 01825 760019, or email us at email@example.com