About this organisation
SSAFA (The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association) is a UK charity that provides lifelong support to serving men and women and veterans from the British Armed Forces and their families or dependents. Anyone who is currently serving or has ever served in the Royal Navy, British Army or Royal Air Force and their families, both regulars and reserves, is eligible for their help.
About this opportunity
SSAFA Visitors provide support to isolated people living at home or in residential care. Whilst a friendly chat about the old days over a cup of tea is an important aspect of the role, you will also be able to recognise any other support needs and explore how to link your client into their local community.
What you will need
- Friendly and approachable manner with good listening skills, patience and a cheerful attitude
- Good communication skills and written English
- Ability to be respectful and non-judgemental with clients, their family, other agencies and SSAFA colleagues
- Ability to keep within the boundaries of the role with regards to friendship, finances etc.
- Reliable attitude, contact clients promptly, keep regular appointments, update the branch regarding your availability
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and keep information safely (within SSAFA policies)
- Willingness to travel by public transport or car to appointments with client
- Able to provide two referees: former employers or other people that know you well (other than relatives)
For more information
For more information please either come in and see us in the Uckfield Volunteer Centre, or call us on 01825 760019, or alternatively email us at firstname.lastname@example.org